Congressman Morgan Griffith (R-VA) delivers this week’s address, detailing government regulations that cost private-sector jobs and impede economic growth. This fall, as part of the House Republican Plan for America‘s Job Creators, the House will continue working on legislation to stop excessive and unreasonable regulations. These common-sense bills will save thousands of American jobs and restore the confidence our job creators need to grow and expand our economy. It’s time to get our country working again.
FROM Speaker John Boehner: In the Weekly Republican Address, Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-VA) says President Obama “should call on the Democrat-led Senate” to follow the House and pass two bipartisan bills protecting jobs from excessive government regulations. While the president thinks America has lost its “competitive edge,” Rep. Griffith says these bills represent another “opportunity to widen our common ground and do whatever we can to get government out of the way so our economy can return to creating jobs.”
Gone “Soft?” Or Threatened By Tax Hikes, Excessive Regulations, & Excessive Spending?
- President Obama says America has gone “a little soft” and lost its “competitive edge.” But the reality is – as Speaker Boehner recently said – job creators are paralyzed by “the constant threat of new taxes, out-of-control spending, and unnecessary regulation from a government that is always micromanaging, meddling, and manipulating.”
- In fact, when the president and his advisors talk about a proposal that would affect “millionaires” or “the rich,” what it really means is raising taxes on small businesses and private capital (which is essential to job creation) — tax hikes even he’s rejected in the past.
- Economists, job creators, and fiscal watchdogs have panned the president’s tax hike on small businesses. Others say it is just a “political ploy,” not a “deficit reduction tool.”
- As a consequence of the Democrats’ Dodd-Frank law you might soon be paying monthly debit card fees. Click here to see how Washington’s job-crushing policies are also leading to higher health care premiums and higher gas prices for families and small businesses.
Keeping the Pledge: Republicans Focused on Creating Jobs, Changing the Way Congress Works
- Learn more about the bills (including H.R. 2250 and H.R. 2681) referenced by Rep. Griffith that would stop excessive regulations hurting job growth now and putting thousands more at risk.
- Reps. Steve Chabot (R-OH) and Geoff Davis (R-KY) asked the White House to support H.R. 2681, which requires Washington to develop “more balanced and effective” rules that “protect public health and the environment without imposing unnecessary economic harm on American businesses and workers.” Read the letter here.
- Speaker Boehner talked with Fox Business about the Republican jobs plan and the need to fix our tax code by simplifying and lowering rates, and eliminating loopholes and special carve-outs.
- Opening resource-rich areas of Alaska to new energy production will create jobs and address high gas prices. Learn more here from a recent Natural Resources Committee hearing.
- The House Clerk updated its website with better access to real-time information, reflecting the majority’s pledge to make Congress more open and accountable. Check it out here.
PLEASE FOLLOW Rep. Morgan Griffith of Virgina on twitter here: @RepMGriffith