U.S. Army to go Off The Shelf for Handguns?

The United States Army, as well as most government agencies, is totally overburdened with purchasing regulations. This well known fact is a well known but sad joke in the Department of Defense. From this over regulated process is how we wind up with $500 hammers and $1000 dollar toilet seats. In this handgun case alone, the Army’s Chief of Staff, General Mark Milley, has proposed to save hundreds of millions of dollars in just one off the shelf purchase. We need more of this type of leadership at all levels of government.

Glock_19_Gen_4

Army chief says he’ll fix ‘ridiculous’ handgun acquisition

By Jared Serbu at Federal News Radio

Emboldened by legislation that gives the military service chiefs a bigger role in the DoD acquisition process, Gen. Mark Milley said last week that he intends to “rip apart” the plodding procurement of a new service pistol for the Army, saying it’s “ridiculous” that what ought to have been a commercial off-the-shelf acquisition has dragged on for years.

Milley, the Army’s chief of staff, said his service will arrive at decisions within a matter of weeks on a new way forward for the Modular Handgun System, which has been in the works — formally, at least — since 2011. Thus far, the estimated $580 million procurement has involved a requirements document totaling more than 360 pages and a testing process slated to take two years in order to replace the 9mm Beretta pistol soldiers have been using since the mid-1980s.

“We’re going to deliver in short order,” Milley told the Senate Armed Services Committee last Thursday. “We’re going to make it right for the soldiers and the taxpayer and make sure that we get a new handgun. The system’s been very frustrating in the sense of lots of paperwork, lots of bureaucracy, ridiculous amounts of time: two years of testing and $17 million to do a test. We’re just ripping that all apart and we’re going to make it better.”

CONTINUE READING ARTICLE HERE

GET MORE STORIES LIKE THIS

IN YOUR INBOX!

Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about.

Leave a Comment

Comment via Facebook

Comment via Disqus

  • ItsMikey

    The 1911 is large and heavy, manufacturing is expensive, and the mag only holds 7 rounds – so I can understand why DoD needed to replace it.

    But, they should have kept the 45acp caliber since Geneva Convention requires non-expanding, ie ball / FMJ rounds. 9mm is just too small to do the job reliably as an FMJ. .40S&W is a little better. 10mm has too much recoil and flash for most shooters.

    There are a LOT of really good pistol designs now, Just hope they chamber it in the ol’ reliable 45.

    • HH

      Geneva convention requires non of that. Absolutely false. The 1906 Hague convention bans dum dum bullets but not expanding bullets and even it does not require FMJ. That is even only applicable in battle with another signatory of the 1906 Hague convention.

      • hardh8

        HH, Wrong, Dum Dum rounds ARE expanding bullets. Expanding i.e. Dum Dum ammunition are generally outlawed for military use. There are countries that don’t obey any laws. So anything goes. But it is generally accepted that no Dum Dum rounds will be legal

    • Beckah

      It may well be time to say “Good-bye” to the Geneva Convention, as it seems our boys are the only ones “playing by the rules” anymore anyway!

  • Moss500

    Report this spammer. Click the flag icon in upper right-hand corner of the post. Hover over “Share” at bottom of post, Three icons will appear. Click the link icon (third one on the right). Highlight and copy the url in your browser Menu bar. Click the spammers name and go to their Profile. Click the flag icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Profile page. In the new window that pops up, “choose why you’re reporting user” by selecting “Spam”, then click “Next Page”. On the next page, you’ll see a box. Paste the url you copied in that box and click “Next Page”.