The hunt for the Brussels airport bomber just went back to square one. The suspect that was arrested has been released. Belgium authorities and the rest of Europe have redoubled their efforts to apprehend the one that got away.
A manhunt reignited Monday for the suspected accomplice of two suicide bombers at the Zaventem airport outside Brussels, after officials freed a man previously thought to have been their suspect.
Prosecutors said they lacked evidence to keep Faycal Cheffou in custody. They had charged him with terrorist murder on Saturday.
Cheffou previously had identified himself as a freelance journalist, The Guardian reports. In one video posted to YouTube in 2014, he appeared in front of a refugee center outside Brussels, and said officials had refused nighttime meals to some Muslim detainees who fasted during the day. He lived just outside the Brussels headquarters of the European Union, the AFP adds.
His release signaled that investigators were still on the hunt for the airport bombing accomplice. Police also released security video Monday showing the unnamed suspect wearing glasses and a white jacket, wheeling a baggage cart through the airport along with the two bombers.